Historic Edgemoor Hospital
edgemore_hospital

The 1913  Barn is the only remaining structure from the Historic Edgemoor property. It has stood for nearly 100 years, and is a testament to early Santee, CA.  On April 17, 1985 a formal Nomination was sent to the National Park Service, to register the Edgemoor Farm Barn as a historic site. On May 16, 1986 The Barn was added to the National Registry of Historic Places. In the following years the Barn’s address was changed from 9064 Edgemoor Drive to it’s current address and of 9200 N. Magnolia Ave. Through the assistance of charitable donations, public assistance, and political persons, the Edgemoor Barn is currently an active museum and houses the office of the Santee Historical Society

build4

Mens’s ambulatory (Senior center)

The building (number 3) was constructed in 1913 by Walter Dupee, who ran a successful Dairy and Polo Farm at the site until 1923 when the County of San Diego purchased the property and used the site as a sustainable farm facility which provided care of the aged, indigent, orphans and mentally ill. The historic use of the building was originally as a Barn, next as a Men’s Ambulatory Ward and finally as a Senior Center. Located in the northeast corner of the site, the structure was the middle of three adjacent single story buildings (2,3,4) connected by covered walkways.

build7

Garden shop/Vehicle garage

[1913-1921] Area existed but use in those days is unknown.

build3

Antiquated men’s hall, housekeeping, laundry.

The building was constructed in 1923 or 1924 as one of several buildings constructed for use by the County of San Diego as a sustainable farm facility which provided care of the aged, indigent, orphans and mentally ill. The historic use of the building was as a Dining and Recreation Hall.

build2

The building #9 was constructed in 1925 as one of several buildings constructed for use by the County of San Diego as a sustainable farm facility which provided care of the aged, indigent, orphans and mentally ill. The historic use of the building was as a Women’s Ambulatory Ward.

build6

The building [16] was constructed in 1945 as one of several buildings constructed for use by the County of San Diego as a sustainable farm facility which provided care of the aged, indigent, orphans and mentally ill. The historic use of the building was as  Custodial Wards.

build8
[1940’s] Water storage tank and pump house.

build5
History and Construction:

The building 18 was constructed in 1951 by the County of San Diego Department of Public Works. It’s original use was as a Dining Room and Kitchen for the Edgemoor Geriatric Hospital. The three-bay structure consists of two outer bays on either side of a single, high roofed middle bay.