Just a little language history…
Do you know where the phrase “Bats in the Belfry” came from? The meaning of the word is “Crazy or eccentric”. Bats are, of course, the erratically flying mammals and ‘belfries’ are bell towers, sometimes found at the top of churches. ‘Bats in the belfry’ refers to someone who acts as though he has bats careering around his topmost part, that is, his head.
Although this phrase sounds like it came from Jolly Ole’ England, it does in fact originate in the USA and is not especially old. All the early citations are from American authors and date from the start of the 20th century; for example, this piece from the Ohio newspaper The Newark Daily Advocate, October 1900:
“To his hundreds of friends and acquaintances in Newark, these purile [sic] and senseless attacks on Hon. John W. Cassingham are akin to the vaporings of the fellow with a large flock of bats in his belfry.”
Ambrose Bierce, also American, used the term in a piece for Cosmopolitan Magazine, in July 1907, describing it as a new curiosity:
“He was especially charmed with the phrase ‘bats in the belfry’, and would indubitably substitute it for ‘possessed of a devil’, the Scriptural diagnosis of insanity.”
The use of ‘bats’ and ‘batty’ to denote odd behavior originated around the same time as ‘bats in the belfry’ and the terms are clearly related. Again, the first authors to use the words are American:
1903 A. L. Kleberg – Slang Fables from Afar: “She … acted so queer … that he decided she was Batty.“
1919 Fannie Hurst – Humoresque: “ ‘Are you bats?’ she said.“
There have been several attempts over the years to associate the term ‘batty’ with various people called Batty or Battie, notably the 18th century physician William Battie. He was a governor of the Bethlem Hospital, a.k.a. Bedlam, and physician to St Luke’s Hospital for Lunaticks, where he wrote A Treatise on Madness. Despite those illustrious credentials, it was bats rather than Battie that caused scatterbrained people to be called ‘batty’.
Do you know anyone who has Bats In their Bellfry?
With the push to build a new library in Santee becoming almost daily news, it seemed appropriate to post a newspaper articles from 1959 when a new library was also being built in Santee.
Santee – A new idea in book shelving, whereby metal strips are attached to a wall to support wooden shelves, is being considered for the county’s proposed library in Santee.
Miss Frances Hahn, county librarian, said the new shelving costs about half that of the ordinary bracket-shelf type.
Negotiations are being completed for the rental of a 1,000 square foot building, two doors south of the Santee Post Office on Magnolia Avenue. The building, rented at $110 a month, is owned by the Cameron Construction Co. of Santee.
Miss Hahn said she is ordering furniture for the branch and hopes it will be opened before the end of February.
SANTEE LIBRARY DEDICATION TODAY
Santee — Santee’s county library branch will open at 2 p.m. tomorrow with 3,000 books to loan.
Mrs. Natalie Bettencourt of El Cajon will be in charge of the library on Magnolia Avenue.
The library will be dedicated today in community ceremonies with Miss Frances Hahn, county librarian, as speaker.
The county had loaned books to Santee residents from a corner of a hardware store in the business section. This facility was closed six months ago.
The library will be open from 2 to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays. Thirty per cent of the books will be juvenile volumes. The library will include a reference collection, fiction and non-fiction.
The Santee Chamber of Commerce is providing funds for magazines this year. Magazines are purchased at the beginning of each year through competitive bidding. No funds were set aside by the county for Santee periodicals.
San Diego Union March 15, 1959
Mail Delivery begun for Santee Lakeside
City mail delivery will begin today for 13,400 residents in Santee and Lakeside. Residents in Carlton Hills, north of Mission Gorge road and west of Santee, will receive mail delivery for the first time. Sycamore Hills and Lakeside residents will be served by city delivery instead of rural delivery. The mail will be delivered to individual houses instead of rural post office boxes along streets in front of houses.
Approximately 12,000 persons in Lakeside, in an area bounded by El Monte Park, the Poway cutoff, U.S. Highway 80 and midway between Santee and Lakeside, will be affected by the Change. City delivery also will be furnished in the Eucalyptus Hills and Barona areas of Lakeside.
Approximately 424 new homes in the Carlton Hills and Sycamore Hills areas will be affected. Santee postal officials yesterday installed three collection boxes in Carlton Hills.
San Diego Union
May 22, 1959
We have just posted some obituaries of Santee Residents. (See Obituaries in menu above.) If you have any additional ones you would like to add, or any pictures or stories about these people, please submit them to us at: TheSanteeHistoricalSociety@gmail.com
This is not a joke! The General Manager of the Chargers entered into a 17 year contract to build an athletic complex in Santee, CA for year round use of the Chargers. The Chargers will hold its pre-season and in-season training in Santee.
Read this newspaper article from 1970 to find all the facts. What happened? Where did they go?Chargers-in-Santee10
One of the biggest hassles we had was trying to keep some of these idiots from building a dam in Mission Gorge . . . A lot of land would have been flooded—Santee, Lakeside, and about a third of El Cajon Valley would have been a shallow lake.
—Fred A. Heilbron, San Diego city councilman (1919–27)
The city fathers of San Diego were concerned about the water supply. After several years of quiet growth, the population began growing rapidly in the early 1920s—up to 10 percent annually. Would there be enough water to support a growing region? Heavy rainfall in 1921 and 1922 had filled local lakes, but city water engineer Hiram N. Savage sounded an alarm when he announced that the reservoirs had sufficient supply for no more than five years. “It is imperative,” he argued, “that the city of San Diego provide promptly, and accomplish not later than 1926, greatly increased reservoir storage.”
In August 1921, the city council directed Savage to study the water resources of the San Diego River and report back with recommendations. The engineer returned to the council six months later with a study that identified two “outstanding reservoir basins” on the river: El Capitan, twenty-five miles upstream, and—his strong first choice—Mission Gorge, only seven miles from the city limits.
Savage proposed a concrete dam located about a half mile below the historic Mission Dam. The dam would flood the gorge and the valley beyond, creating a reservoir of ten square miles. The reservoir water could be pumped to the University Heights filtration plant for distribution to the city.
Mission Gorge was perfect as a dam site. A narrow canyon and solid bedrock offered ideal building conditions—the same conditions Savage had used to build successful masonry dams at Lower Otay in 1919 and Barrett in 1922. The El Capitan site, on the other hand, lacked the hard granite foundations necessary for a conventional masonry dam. Only an expensive rock fill dam would do. El Capitan, judged Savage, would be “economically impossible.”
The city council was less certain. Mission Gorge may have been an ideal site for a dam, but the reservoir would be shallow and prone to severe evaporation losses. It would also drown a productive agricultural valley. The basin of El Capitan—its supporters argued—drained a massive watershed and would provide a much deeper and larger reservoir.
The chief advocate of the Mission Gorge dam had become a problematic figure, as well. Arrogant and opinionated, Hiram Savage was a difficult man to work with. Land baron Ed Fletcher described him as “old school,” a man “positive in his convictions, who would never yield an inch, under any conditions.” His refusal to consider alternatives to Mission Gorge infuriated the city council. On June 15, 1923, City Manager Fred Rhodes fired Savage and eliminated his position of hydraulic engineer. When given the news of his discharge in a council meeting, Savage simply replied, “Very well.”
With Savage out of the way, the council decided to put the Mission Gorge proposition before the voters. A $3.6 million bond issue was set for an election on September 10, 1924. Councilman Heilbron, City Manager Rhodes and the city attorney, Shelley Higgins, went to work to defeat the measure. “We called mass meetings and we made speeches,” recalled Higgins. “We let every San Diegan who would listen, know the disadvantages of the Mission Gorge location.”
On election day, the bonds for Mission Gorge were voted down 7,485 to 4,750. A second election held only a month later approved $4.5 million in bonds to build a dam at El Capitan. But even with the endorsement of voters, the project bogged down. For the remainder of the decade, the city fought a costly legal action in the courts to defend the municipality’s “paramount rights” to the headwaters of the San Diego River. The case was finally won in 1930.
Remarkably, in June 1929, the city council decided to rehire Hiram Savage(photo to the left). The engineer had always been respected for his expertise and was popular with the public. Deciding it needed Savage to spur progress on urgently needed projects, a new council awarded him a five-year contract.
The return of Savage reignited the old controversy of where to site a dam and reservoir on the San Diego River. Savage strongly reiterated that Mission Gorge provided the quickest and most cost-efficient route to a new reservoir. But other water experts opposed him. Thomas H. King, a civil engineer for the Cuyamaca Water Company, decried the potential flooding of Santee and Lakeside, and M.M. O’Shaughnessy (picture to the right), builder of the dam at Hetch Hetchy in the Yosemite valley, emphasized that El Capitan was the one reservoir on the San Diego River that could store the greatest amount of water with the fewest impacts upon developed lands.
San Diego’s newspapers endorsed the Mission Gorge dam. Editorials from the Union urged the city to “bank on the engineering advice of Mr. Savage.” The Sun, claiming it had “never expressed any opinion whatever as to the relative merits” of either site, said the decision should be left to the engineers—namely, Hiram Savage.
The voters had the final word on August 12, 1931. By the narrow margin of 11,152 to 10,281, the people decided for the second time not to fund the Mission Gorge dam. Wiley V. Ambrose, head of a citizens’ committee that supported the project, was resigned: “Well, that’s that. Evidently the people thought we were wrong. But maybe events will show we were right after all.”
Construction of the El Capitan Dam began in December 1931. Hiram Savage would swallow his pride and design his first rock fill dam. He actively supervised the construction but would die of heart failure six months before the dam’s completion.
Little noticed in the last weeks of controversy was the fate of 150 Kumeyaay Indians who lived at Capitan Grande—property that would soon be submerged under the new reservoir. The evicted Indians received about $2,400 each for their parcels and moved to new reservation lands at Barona and Viejas.
Completed in 1935, El Capitan was 217 feet high and created a deep reservoir with a water surface up to 1,600 acres. Ironically, most credit for the achievement would go to Hiram Savage, the man who had fought the dam for a decade.
Originally published as “Mission Gorge nearly got a San Diego River dam,” by Richard Crawford, in the San Diego Union-Tribune, Nov 1, 2008.
Here is a photo of the students and teachers of Santee School in the early 1900’s. If you look closely you can see that some students are wearing shoes and some are not. There is also a big difference in the types of clothing the children are wearing. Wish we could identify the people in this photo. Does anyone see any relatives here in this photo?
Army Staff Sgt. Sean P. Fisher, 29, Santee; among 5 troops killed in helicopter crash
Before enlisting in the Army in 2002, Fisher held various jobs, including stints at a McDonald’s and a local casino. Everywhere he worked, he always gave it his best. His love was mechanics, and joining the Army gave him the opportunity to become skilled in helicopter mechanics. He was fun. He loved life.
On leave just before his death, Sean had purchased a pair of black-and-white shoes, the type of classic footwear that used to be worn by entertainers such as Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. He called them his dancing shoes, so his mother bought some Mexican music, and they danced and danced, with relatives videotaping the spectacle.
Army Staff Sergeant Sean P. Fisher, 29, was on his second deployment to Iraq when he was among 5 troops killed when their CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashed during a post-maintenance test flight at the Taqaddum air base in central Iraq on August 14, 2007. Sean died of his injuries on September 2, 2007.
He was assigned to the Army Active duty 1st Battalion, 52nd Aviation Regiment, Task Force 49, at Fort Wainwright, Alaska. He was awarded a Bronze Star for meritorious service.